1. Having regard to the report on local and regional democracy in Ukraine presented by the Rapporteurs Mr Chénard (Chamber of Local Authorities) and Mr Bodfish (Chamber of Regions);
2. Welcoming the proposals contained in the report and in the accompanying Recommendation CG (5) 6;
Instructs the Bureau to:
3. Follow closely the progress of local and regional democratic reform in Ukraine;
4. Seek information about the current situation in Odessa and, if necessary, ask its Rapporteur Group to visit the city in the near future;
5. Monitor the extent to which the proposals contained in Recommendation CG (5) 6 are implemented;
6. Take whatever steps may be considered necessary to encourage the implementation of the above Recommendation, eg., organisation of a Seminar(s) in Ukraine with the host authorities; organisation of further fact finding missions; preparation of a progress report;
7. Invite a senior representative of the Ukraine Government to attend and speak at the 1999 Session of the Congress to give an account of the current situation on local and regional democracy in Ukraine and the extent to which the proposals contained in Recommendation CG (5) 6 have been followed.