High level officials and leading scholars discuss current issues related to judicial reform in Ukraine
Date: 12-13 March 2009
Location: Kyiv (Ukraine)
Organised bythe Council of Europe, in the framework of the Joint Programme between the European Commission and the Council of Europe “Transparency and Efficiency of the Judicial System of Ukraine”, together with the USAID Ukraine Rule of Law Project, in cooperation with the Council of Judges of Ukraine, the Supreme Court of Ukraine, and with participation of the Committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the National Commission on Strengthening Democracy and the Rule of Law.
Description: Expert conference on ''Judicial Reform in Ukraine: Finding Solutions in Line with European Standards” which aims atcreating a dialogue and building a consensus among a variety of stakeholders on a number of issues related to the judicial reform in Ukraine including the structure of the court system, the functioning of judicial institutions, and judicial self-governance, as well as judicial selection, training and discipline of judges.
The representatives of the top judicial institutions, courts, judicial self-governmental bodies, Verkhovna Rada, national government officials, European and International experts, academics, media, and the public will exchange views on the challenges faced by the Ukrainian judiciary today.
The following institutions will be represented at the conference:
· the Parliament (Verkhovna Rada) of Ukraine;
· the Supreme Court of Ukraine;
· the Council of Judges of Ukraine;
· the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine;
· the National Commission for Strengthening Democracy and the Rule of Law;
· the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine;
· the Academy of Judges of Ukraine;
· the V.M. Koretsky Scientific Institute for State and Law of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
· the Council of Europe;
· the European Commission;
· the U.S. Embassy
· the USAID.
· The meeting begins at 9.30 am on Thursday 12 Marchin the Large Hall of the Conference Centre at the President – Hotel Kyivsky, 12, Hospitalna Street. (See location at http://www.president-hotel.com.ua/en/location)
· A press briefing will be conducted at 5.30 pm on Thursday 12 March. Journalists are invited and required to receive accreditation.
Yuriy Mukhin, tel. +38 (044) 581 33 03 or Irina Zaretska, tel. +38 (044)279 39 07