PACE 114 (2014)
PACE Summer session: Election of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe
Strasbourg, 16.06.2014 - The election of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, an address by the President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, and a joint debate on the "left-to-die boat" and on the large-scale arrival of mixed migratory flows on Italian shores are among the highlights of the forthcoming Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) plenary session in Strasbourg (23-27 June).
Other items on the agenda include reports on violence in and through the media, challenges for the Council of Europe Development Bank, a parliamentary contribution to solving the Western Sahara conflict as well as a report on ‘Towards a better European democracy: facing the challenges of a federal Europe. Elmar Mammadyarov, Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan, will present the communication from the Committee of Ministers as its chairperson.
The final agenda is decided by the Assembly on the opening day of the session.
Monday 23 June
· Statement by the President
· Request(s) for current affairs debate or urgent debate
· Progress report of the Bureau and the Standing Committee presented by Jordi Xuclà
· Observation of the presidential election (13 and 27 April 2014) and of the early parliamentary elections (27 April 2014) in "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia"
· Observation of the early presidential election in Ukraine (25 May 2014)
· Communication from the Committee of Ministers to the Parliamentary Assembly presented by Elmar Mammadyarov, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, Chairperson of the Committee of Ministers
· Free debate
Tuesday 24 June
· Joint debate
· Address by Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan
Wednesday 25 June
· Commemoration ceremony of the 100th anniversary of the First World War
· Joint debate
Thursday 26 June
· Possible urgent debate or current affairs debate
· Challenges for the Council of Europe Development Bank and statement by Rolf Wenzel, Governor of the Council of Europe Development Bank
Friday 27 June
Live web stream: The session is streamed live on PACE’s website.
Press conferences: PACE President Anne Brasseur will give a press conference on Monday 23 June at 10.30 a.m. Other press conferences will be announced on the spot. They are streamed live over the web.
For TV planning units: videos in broadcast quality summing up PACE highlights can be downloaded for free no later than two hours after the event. Further information from the Council of Europe Audiovisual Service, tel. +33 3 88 41 25 64 (prior to the session) or +33 3 88 41 35 00 (during the session).
For accreditation: Directorate of Communication, email@example.com.
Further details: see the Assembly's website.
Contact: PACE Communication Division, tel. +33 3 88 41 31 93; firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Assembly brings together 318 members from the national parliaments of the 47 member states.