Strasbourg, 29-31 October 2013
Election of the members of the Avagani (Assembly of Aldermen) of the City of Yerevan, Armenia
(5 May 2013)
Resolution 359 (2013)
1. Following an invitation by the Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, the Congress decided to observe the elections of members of the Avagani (Assembly) of the City of Yerevan held on 5 May 2013. Stewart DICKSON (United Kingdom, L, ILDG) was appointed Head of Delegation and Rapporteur.
2. The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities recalls that Armenia became a member state of the Council of Europe on 25 January 2001 and ratified the European Charter of Local Self-Government (CETS No. 122) on 25 January 2002.
3. The Congress refers to its Report CPL(10)8 Part II and its Recommendation 140 (2003) on local democracy in Armenia as well as to its Recommendations 277 (2009) on the first Municipal elections in Yerevan (observed on 31 May 2009) and 338 (2013) on Local by-elections in Armenia (observed on 9 and 23 September 2012) and recognises the reforms undertaken by the country in respect of strengthening local democracy since then, in conformity with the requirements of the European Charter of Local Self-Government (CETS No. 122) which was ratified by Armenia on 25 January 2002, and entered into force on 1 May 2002.
4. In particular, it observes with satisfaction that a few of the recommendations made by the Congress on the observation of local by-elections in Armenia on 9 and 23 September 2012 have already been taken into account for the elections held on 5 May 2013.
5. The Congress reiterates its conviction that free and fair elections, at national but also at territorial level, constitute an integral part of democratic processes in Council of Europe member states and refers to the Explanatory Memorandum and the draft Recommendation regarding the findings of the Congress delegation which observed the Yerevan elections on 5 May 2013.
6. Given the above, and in conformity with its Resolutions 306 (2010) REV on the strategy and rules for the observation of local and regional elections, Resolution 353 (2013) REV on Congress post-monitoring and post-observation of elections as well as the Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters (2002) of the Council of Europe Venice Commission, and the Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation (2004), the Congress:
a. asks its Monitoring Committee to take note of the above-mentioned draft Recommendation and to take it into account in the framework of its mission to assess the progress made by the country in honouring its commitments to the European Charter of Local Self-Government;
b. expresses its will to participate in activities aimed at strengthening electoral processes and improving the situation of local and regional democracy in Armenia in the framework of the existing post-election observation dialogue of the Congress, in association with other relevant departments of the Council of Europe.
 Debated and approved by the Chamber of Local Authorities on 30 October 2013, and adopted by the Congress on 31 October 2013, 3rd sitting (see Document CPL(25)3PROV, explanatory memorandum, presented by Stewart DICKSON, United Kingdom (R, ILDG), rapporteur).